May 20, 2010

Persimmon and orange jam

Persimon jam

Do you love persimmons as I do? They are best to eat raw straight from the tree, but this year we have quite a big harvest in our garden, so I decided to make a little bit of jam. And it's so tasty and beautiful - like a little sun in a jar. 

Ingredients:
2 cups of ripe persimmon, skin removed and cut into small pieces
1-1,5 cup sugar (depends on the desired sweetness of jam)
juice of 1 orange
grated rind of half an orange
2 tbsp vodka

Put the persimmons, sugar, juice and zest in a heavy based pot and cook over medium heat, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.

Return to the heat, mash slightly with a potato masher and bring to boil. Pour the vodka and cook for 10 minutes on low heat.

Pour hot jam into sterilized jars, seal and store in cool place.


Persimon jam

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! Your photos are beautiful and the jam looks delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore persimmons - totally bookmarking this for next winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my jam isnt as brightly coloured as the one in the picture. It is more of a murky colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far so good. Just letting the mixture cool. I've added a hand full of dried blueberries, a teaspoon of vanilla & a teaspoon of turmeric (to enhance the colour). Also I'll be using limoncello as I have no vodka :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails