Jan 27, 2010
Pistachio and white chocolate cake
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2/3 cup sugar
5 tbsp boiling water
180 g. peeled pistachios
2 tbsp cake flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
5 oz white chocolate
2 cups whipping cream
150 g white chocolate
5 tablespoons cream
3 tbsp cocoa butter (butter)
Additional: peeled and chopped pistachios for decoration
1. Make the filling a day in advance. Bring the cream to a boil and add to a chopped chocolate. Stir gently until chocolate melted and allow to cool. Keep refrigerated until next day.
2. Preheat oven at 375F. Draw eight 9" circles on a parchment paper.
3. Whip egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks adding gradually 1/3 cup of sugar. Set aside.
4. Whisk egg yolks with remaining sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Put pistachios into a blender or food processor and grind very fine (until it start forming paste). Stir pistachio paste into boiling water. Add slowly to the yolks.
6. Sift flour and cornstarch over yolk mixture, add 1/3 of the whipped whites and fold in gently. Repeat with remaining whites.
7. Spoon 1/2 cup of the batter into drown circles and bake for 5-8 min until springs back, when touched. Allow to cool.
8. Whip cooled filling. Spread prepared cake circles with the chocolate filling. Do not cover sides and top of the cake with the filling.
9. To cover the cake, melt the chocolate with cream, add cocoa butter. Stir gently to blend and cover the cake top and sides. You can dust cake with shredded coconut and cover sides with chopped pistachios.